It is freezing cold again, so that must mean it's time for me to build some big pieces of furniture. This time, it is a pair of shelves for the living room. With all the toys that our son has, we were in desperate need of a better way to organize them, hence new shelves jumped to the top of the list.
These shelves followed a similar pattern to the others that I've built. I got a couple 4X8 sheets of maple plywood and ripped them down to one foot sections. I then cut dados in the side panels for all of the shelves. We have a bigger shelf at the bottom of each (for bigger toys) and then the other shelves are built to fit storage bins in order to hide things away.
Once we had everything glued up, we set about staining. We again used the java gel stain that has worked so well for us on other furniture projects. It took a solid two coats, which was by far the most time consuming part of the project. That was followed up by a couple coats of shellac, which was the second most time consuming part of the project. Of course, the end result is great. With plenty of room for decorations and storage.