We opted for a laminated red oak. It comes in large sheets so we had some of it cut at the hardware store and did the rest on the table saw.
Given that we were using laminated boards, the edges are obviously rough. While you can use an edge band, we decided to use a moulding for the shelves and the sides.
We picked up three different types of moulding. We have one that runs down the side, a small moulding that goes in front of each shelf and a bigger moulding for the top.
We again glued each piece to the shelves as well as put a few finishing nails through in order to hold everything in place.
We used a wood filler over each nail in order to hide them. We also filled in any of the little cracks between the moulding and the shelves.
Once we had that, we sanded down everything and put a pre-stain on in order to get an even coverage for the stain.
We initially thought we'd use a traditional stain, but were disappointed in the color so we opted for a Java gel stain. It is extremely thick and gives a nice, deep color.
It took two coats to cover everything. We did a little bit of sanding between coats.
To finish it, we used a Minwax glossy polyeurethane. It took another two coats to get that.
These shelves were build so that they fit perfectly between the wall and the window. They are also taller than other shelves you can buy in stores. And ultimately, they probably cost about half the price.