My brick laying experience was pretty limited before this, so after a good deal of research and video watching (some links included on the other tab), we set out to get it done.
I laid a little cement for the base and then we got things rolling with some cinder block and a few courses of brick. We decided we want to build as strong of a mailbox as possible.
I had some cement pieces made for this mailbox a week or two in advance. There is a nice cement shop in Salt Lake that can create custom blocks if you're thinking about getting some as well. I had trouble finding many places that did these, so I'm happy to recommend them.
You'll also notice we have a plastic flag set into one of the joints. We see these in a lot of mailboxes around here, but as far as I've found, there is only one place that sells them. Fortunately you can just order it and ours arrived within a couple days.
We let the mortar set up for a few days before we set the cap on. It was heavy enough that we didn't want to squeeze out all the mortar by jumping the gun. While it only took two of us to put the whole mailbox together, it took three of us to lift the cap up and set it on.
After everything was set, the last step was to clean off the excess mortar and put some sealer on. I used some brick cleaner and a wire brush to scrub off as much as possible. Once that was done, we used a glossy sealer to give the mailbox that finished wet look.